Ofsted Inspection 2017
Following our recent Ofsted inspection I am delighted to share with you their findings, attached. We received a one-day Section 8 inspection on 21 February 2017 when two Ofsted inspectors concluded that ‘This school continues to be good’.
They praised the strong leadership of the school and stated that we continue ‘to provide the best possible education for each pupil. ‘You are well supported by the staff and a dedicated and strong governing body in your drive to achieve this.’ They witnessed the ‘high levels of aspiration among the pupils and students in a strongly supportive environment. They also observed that ‘this creates an atmosphere where pupils and students develop as individuals and are well-prepared for life as responsible members of the community.’
We were pleased that, amongst many things, they acknowledged:
- ‘an obvious sense of trust and mutual respect between pupils and adults.’
- ‘a strong culture of safeguarding that runs throughout the school supported by an effective safeguarding system that makes sure all pupils are secure.’
- ‘existing teachers benefit from high-quality training and you have appointed strong teachers to the school’
- ‘strong leadership of the Sixth Form.’
- ‘Pupils say that they feel very safe in school and this is overwhelmingly supported by the views of parents.’
In the last inspection in 2013, inspectors noted several strengths, including: ‘strong leadership, quality of teaching, improving exam results, a vibrant sixth form, good behaviour, and excellent level of care and safety’. It is pleasing that they agreed that this is still the case at The Abbey School.
We hope that you, as parents and carers, will be as equally pleased with the report and are reassured that the school continues to provide a good education for our children and continues to improve.