Careers, Aspiration and Employment
At The Abbey School students follow a careers curriculum that is broad, inclusive and tailored to the needs of every student. Its aim is to inspire and enable all students to make informed decisions about their future.
Careers is delivered through a range of form time activities, assemblies, workshops and external visits. Subject-specific careers information and activities will be delivered through the appropriate curriculum areas throughout the year and in our Careers Week. Students also experience support by one of our business mentors and receive an interview by a CXK advisor. Opportunities for students to participate in activities by external providers have been built into the careers programme. This will ensure that opportunities available for students suit their personal and academic needs.
At The Abbey School, our Careers Leader works with a team of dedicated professions within school, the community and an Enterprise Network advisor to provide students with the information, advice and guidance that is key to them making informed choices about their future. This journey begins in Year 7 and is an integral part of their learning throughout their time at the Abbey School.
We have great careers resources available to all of our students. These include;
- A dedicated Careers Hub, displaying information on careers and college/university prospectuses.
- Upper school students all receive an interview with our CXK Adviser who provides impartial advice to our students.
- The Business Mentors (parents and local employers) provide bespoke opportunities and advice to our Year 9 Year 13 students.
- Our dedicated Business and Work Experience Co-ordinator supports and organises bespoke opportunities for our students.
- The universities of Kent and Christ Church support careers curriculum delivery through a published programme of Aim Higher activities
Websites for further careers information;