Miss S Roseveare

Head of Learning

Mrs H Finney
Miss A Hall
Mr P Stucken

Department Vision

Geography is a dynamic and contemporary subject that challenges us to question and understand the world we live in. Geographers not only acquire knowledge, but also key skills for the future.

All geographers throughout their school career will have independent learning tasks as their homework, which will be set at least once a term. These tasks will often be project based in Lower School, and then will be task stimulated into GCSE and A-Level. Independent learning will always be assessed alongside class work.

Fieldwork is integral to the geography course. The team plans many out of the classroom activities in their daily teaching. Local investigations throughout Lower School, Upper School and A-Level have included the coast (such as Margate and Herne Bay), rivers (of the Great River Stour) and urban environments (such as Canterbury and London). Our vision for the future is to expand our horizons with residential trips nationally, and abroad.

Lower School – Years 7 and 8

All students have three geography lessons over week A and B in Years 7 and 8.

During this stage, physical geography and human geography units are alternated, ensuring that a wide range of contemporary issues that face Planet Earth are studied. Pupils develop the key skills required during this time, including geographical enquiry, knowledge and understanding, investigation and finally fieldwork.

Year 7:
  1. Geography Survival Skills
  2. My Local and National Environment
  3. Explore the World
  4. Reporting the Weather
  5. Raging Rivers
  6. Sustainable Earth
Year 8:
  1. Journey to the Centre of the Earth
  2. People in the World
  3. Crumbling Coasts
  4. International Development
  5. Climate Change
  6. Earth's Resources

Upper School – Years 9, 10 and 11

In yeas 9,10 and 11 students have 5 geography lessons over weeks A and B.

Current year 9 and 10 students are studying the new GCSE AQA Geography A specification. Year 9 begin to prepare for the GCSE by working on their own personalised learning, focusing on the necessary skills to complete the course, and application to local, national and international contemporary themes. This leads up to them taking three examinations in Year 11, one physical geography paper and one human geography paper, both earning 70% of the GCSE grade. The remaining 30% is gained through sitting a GCSE skills application paper. This involves being assessed on fieldwork techniques and geographical skills.


Current year 11 students are studying the GCSE AQA Geography A qualification. This involves preparing for two examination papers, one physical geography and the other human geography, both taken in Year 11 and earning 75% of the grade. The further 25% is achieved in Year 10 as a controlled assessment piece that involves a local fieldwork investigation. Physical themes include The Restless Earth, The Living World and The Coastal Zone. Human themes include Changing Urban Environments, Globalisation and Tourism.

Years 12 and 13

Students have 8 geography lessons over weeks A and B in Years 12 and 13.

The A-Level course undertaken by Year 12 and 13 students is via AQA. In AS (Year 12), the course is split into two examination papers. Unit 1: Human and Physical Geography is worth 70% of the AS (35% of A-Level). Unit 2: Geographical Skills is worth 30% of the AS (15% of A-Level). There are two compulsory themes: Rivers and Flooding plus Population Growth and Change. There are two further units studied in year 12: Coastal Zones and Global Health. Fieldwork is also carried out ready for Unit 2.

The A-Level progresses into Year 13, where a couple of further themes are studied for Unit 3: physical and human exam. These can include Plate Tectonics and Associated Hazards, plus Ecosystems and World Cities. Students also prepare in this final year for Unit 4, which is a choice of a geography fieldwork investigation or decision making task and evaluation exercise.

ib world school logo 2 colour credit-ID cp programme logo en FBP member logo


If, as parent or guardian of a student attending this school, you require a paper copy of the information on this website, we shall provide this free of charge.
The Abbey School Faversham is a company limited by guarantee registered in England. Company No. 07697086
Copyright The Abbey School © 2018. Web site maintenance by Faversham Designs.
Weather information based on data supplied by the Met Office and WillyWeather